canberrabirds

Rainbow Lorikeets?

Subject: Rainbow Lorikeets?
From: Tonya Haff <>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 10:27:12 +1100
Hi all,

I had a couple rainbow lorikeets in my yard in Aranda this morning, and have heard them several times before.  I'm just wondering if there is a consensus on whether or not rainbows in this area are most likely to be escaped cage birds, or are wild birds making their way farther west?

On another note, I just got back from hunting for plains-wanderer and the like around Deniligin, NSW this weekend.  The plains north of town are completely flooded, some of them for the first time in more than 10 years, and there is an abundance of water birds around - a really impressive sight to see.  On top of the 8000+ breeding ibis, and tons of grey teals, there were quite a few plumed and wandering whistling-ducks and pink-eared ducks, and a couple freckled ducks, as well as a host of other species - it was definitely worth the trip just to see such a cool ecosystem process (plus awesome birds, of course)!

Cheers,

Tonya