canberrabirds

Morning greeter xxxiv

To: <>
Subject: Morning greeter xxxiv
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 12:25:08 +1100

Many years ago in what is now Papua New Guinea I sometimes asked about the local names for the common birds.  One, I was told, had a village name that translated as “Morning greeter”.  It didn’t take long to work out that this was the Papuan (or Helmeted) Friarbird, a particularly noisy chap around about first light.  Since then the phrase has stuck in my mind, and I have thought that one bird or other I came across would deserve to be known by it.  The below is an example.

morning greeter_1572.jpg