canberrabirds

RE:Strange Bird calls.....

To: hot line <>
Subject: RE:Strange Bird calls.....
From: terry gourlay <>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 19:40:41 +0000
Dear All,
             I live in Mackenzie St Hackett on the edge of the Ainslie Majura Park....I was awakened at 5.30 this morning Tuesday 16th by a strange call,at first I thought it was some electrical wake up call in the room,mobile etc,but No it came from a large Golden Ash outside my window....It was a falsetto almost shrill call Chuleep,chuleep,chuleep....repeated in its entirety three times also....the tone and shrillness was reminiscent of a Koel,even a very shrill Pallid Cuckoo...after a while I realised it was calling to another Bird with the same call that could barely be heard in the distance...Any thoughts?
            On a slightly different tack last Tuesday the 9th At the junction of Mort and Coranderrk Sts Braddon I heard a call somewhat between a Squelch and a Squeek....Took me a couple of secs to recall Greenfinches,sure enough in the Pines I saw that distinctive flash of Golden Yellow,two Greenfinches at least,have not seen them since the Bushfires,when they could occasionally be seen and heard opposite the Governor Generals Place.Terry Gourlay.