canberrabirds

COG Bumbalong Valley camp-out

To: <>
Subject: COG Bumbalong Valley camp-out
From: "Jack & Andrea Holland" <>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 17:52:49 +1100
Hello subscribers

Just to remind you that COG has a camp-out at the Bumbalong Valley next weekend, 20-21 November.

We'll be camping at the top of the valley right alongside the river.  The camping spot is a grassed area alongside a large reach of the river which is quite flat and great for camping and setting up tents.   We will also have access to an outside toilet and a covered area for the evening meal, all very civilised.

Last visit to the valley in late March 2009 we recorded a total of 62 species (52 on the property) in less than 24 hours, well down on previous spring visits as many of the migrants had gone.  As we were right on the river it was a mix of water and bush birds, including White-bellied Sea Eagle and Whistling Kite, with Fuscous and Yellow-tufted Honeyeaters, Brown Treecreepers, Dusky Woodswallows, Speckled Warblers, Varied Sittellas, Diamond Firetails, Crested Shrike-tit and Restless/Leaden Flycatchers actually seen in the camp-site.

So we can expect more this time such as some of the 4 cuckoo species, Sacred Kingfisher, Rainbow Bee-eater, Olive-backed Oriole, Dollarbird, White-throated Gerygone and Clamorous Reed-warbler.  Also along the road may be declining species such Southern Whiteface, Hooded Robin and the White-fronted Chat

Please see a copy of the Gang-gang ad below.  Participants are also welcome for just the Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning if this is more convenient (it's only an hour's drive from Canberra!).

If you are interested in joining us or in more information please contact me by return E-mail or on 6288 7840.

Jack Holland

Bumbalong Valley;  Saturday - Sunday 20-21 November - campout on private property

This is a repeat visit to this spot following COG's camp-outs there in February 2002, November 2006 and March 2009.  The Bumbalong Valley is a very sheltered valley straddling the Murrumbidgee River about 10 km N of Bredbo.  The area is generally not accessible and COG is very fortunate to have the opportunity to again visit.

After setting up camp mid Saturday afternoon we propose to do a survey of the birds on the property and the adjacent river.  On Sunday morning we may do some further birding here, but also will proceed upstream along the river to survey back along the road, and probably access a couple of properties to identify the birds present.

We will be camping overnight on the local property at the N end of the valley where we camped in March 2009 (and saw 52 species), on a take everything in, take everything out basis.  Participants should aim to arrive mid afternoon on the Saturday, and it is expected we'll stay until mid Sunday afternoon.  Car pooling will be encouraged, so if you're interested please contact Jack Holland (6288 7840 AH or by E-mail on m("environment.gov.au","jack.holland");">m("environment.gov.au","jack.holland"); CTRL + Click to follow link" color=#0000ff>).