canberrabirds

Odd Obs. : Black Swan

To: "Cog Chatline" <>
Subject: Odd Obs. : Black Swan
From: "Roger Curnow" <>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 20:08:42 +1100
I spent much of yesterday watching six cygnets hatch;
or maybe six eggs hatch;
or maybe a Black Swan hatching six eggs.
As my son would say: whatever.

For much of the time the non-sitting adult (male, i think) swam around the nest,
which was on a swan-made island about 2 metres from the water’s edge.
It stopped occasionally to pull up reeds and dump them on the nest in approved swan fashion.

At one point there was a large splash which drew my attention and had me observe
the swan toss a fish (20 cm. long at a guess) from the water.
It then quickly repeated this action three times before the fish escaped or the swan grew bored.

Question : did the swan think it was getting lunch or was it protecting the nest ?

            roger curnow

PS: by the end of the day there were six new cygnets.