canberrabirds

Glossy Black Cockatoo reports on 7 and 25 September on Mt Majura

To: <>
Subject: Glossy Black Cockatoo reports on 7 and 25 September on Mt Majura
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 11:59:43 +1100
Surely it could be that the unknown someone did not enter the data
online but put in a paper form by post or at the COG meeting without
putting their name on it? The person entering data could be logged on
but need not be the observer.

I know that in the early to mid 1980s that happened with several GBS
charts. Amazingly people had the chart on their wall for a whole year
and forgot or neglected to put their name or address on it!

Because the GBS data for the first 13 years was only collated onto the
computer database many years after the data happened, this became a
problem. Years later I put in a lot of effort to identify these missing
data by name and address, mostly with success. In the end there were
still two unknown sites / charts which appear in Appendix 3 of the GBS
Report as "Anonymous" (GBS Sites 255 & 270 they clearly were not the
same as the style and writing was different). (Their bird data was still
included.)

Philip Veerman
24 Castley Circuit
Kambah  ACT  2902

02 - 62314041

-----Original Message-----From:
 Sent: Wednesday, 3 November 2010 11:13 PM
To:   Subject: Re: [canberrabirds]
Glossy Black Cockatoo reports on 7 and 25 September on Mt Majura

Hi Paul, these entries are not mine but, as this is not the first time
I've noticed you request identity of observer for records in the
database, I'm curious/concerned how it is possible for anyone to enter
data without logging in?

Regards
Frank