canberrabirds

Re:Control Currawongs?

To: <>
Subject: Re:Control Currawongs?
From: "Denis Wilson" <>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 02:09:21 +1100
Dear COG Chatline people.
cc David, George and Zoe - for info.

Some time ago, I wrote a poem (published locally in Robertson) questioning why we regard some species as noble (Peregrine Falcon was the example I used) and others we despise (Currawongs) because they kill things we like (little birds).

I concluded that the magnificent male Superb Fairy Wren is as much a "killer" as a Currawong, it just happens to kill small insects which we choose to ignore, or to devalue.
But there is no difference in hard and fast "ethical" terms.

I am sorry, but I think we are getting way too emotional and anthropocentric in this debate.

Currawongs have been advantaged by humans in Canberra, as is well documented.
They are no longer "altitudinal migrants" (Winter visitors) as they were in the 1960s.
As a result, they now predate chicks and fledglings in our gardens.
They would always have predated chicks, previously - just out of our sight - in the Brindabella Ranges.
Their predation of Surperb Fairy Wrens in the Botanic Gdns is also well documented.
But, in killing Crested Pigeon fledglings and nestlings, they are just doing what comes naturally.

Tonight, my neighbour brought to me a fledgling Currawong which had fallen out of its nest.
Did I advise him that it was a killer bird - not worthy of life?
Of course not.

We put it back up in a tree, and left it to be found by its parents.
It might survive or it might not.
Life is circular.
We risk getting caught up in moral dilemmas where no moral issues exist.

Perhaps we ought just train them to focus on Common Mynas?

Cheers

Denis Wilson

Would some computer whizz like to set up a computer survey of people who would like to see PCs controlled and those against? If there is an overwhelming vote for control then perhaps the authorities could be persuaded to remove them from the protected list.

Peter Ormay