canberrabirds

bird blitz update 29 October

To: "'COG List'" <>
Subject: bird blitz update 29 October
From: "Barbara Allan" <>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 11:27:35 +1100

The most recent (and final) state of play has been sent to the COG website and should be available for viewing shortly. Unfortunately a few regulars have pulled out so now there is no certain (though possible default) coverage of the Ororral Valley and less than ideal coverage of the Brindabellas, so if anyone has time and energy to brave the elements safely, go to. As reported previously, a few normally popular sites have not been adopted: Percival Hill NR in the north; Mt Mugga Mugga; and all of the trails off the Boboyan Rd in Namadgi NP. Quite a few more central sites have “possible” surveyors whom I have not recorded on the Excel spreadsheet - don’t worry if your name does not appear, your contributions will be most welcome. Several people have asked if they can survey their sites outside of the weekend – the short answer is, no, not if they are to be counted as part of the blitz. As you will have noted, the weather forecast is less than promising. The blitz goes ahead, however, and hopefully there will be dry spells which enable us to record birds at no risk to life and limb. Remember, the birds will still be there and quite often surveying immediately before or after rain can be rewarding. If the weather is truly awful, you will be forgiven for not participating, but please let me know after the event so I don’t chase you up unnecessarily. Good and safe birding, everyone, and do not take unnecessary risks in the wet! And remember to get your datasheets in as soon as possible afterwards, either electronically via  COG’s input system, or in hard copy to COG’s PO box or to the red datasheet box at the next COG meeting or to my mailbox in Page. If you don’t have datasheets or can’t download them from the COG website www.canberrabirds.org.au simply use a piece of paper and provide full details of who you are, where you went and when, and what you recorded (actual numbers pls, not presence). Barbara Allan, blitz organiser