canberrabirds

Birds in our Backyard

To: "COG-L" <>
Subject: Birds in our Backyard
From: "Lindsay Hansch" <>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 10:16:38 +1100

Hi all

Have just returned home from a trip around this great country.  Listed 265 species including 35 lifers.  Saw all the finches except the Painted, three grasswrens, Purple-crowned and Red-backed Wrens, Yellow Chat, Spinifexbird, all the western parrots/cockatoos, White-breasted and Western Yellow Robins and all the mangrove specials.  Spent several days at Broome Bird Observatory including a days cannon netting (interesting).

We have filled our backyard with natives and have included a small, multi-tiered fountain which is a hit with the birds.  Early this year a pair of White-browed Scrubwrens moved in and became regulars at the fountain for their daily bath.  When we went away I turned off the fountain and drained it.  On returning home this week I went out and cleaned out the green sludge from the lower tier of the fountain and left it to dry before filling it.  Late in the day I went out with a bucket to fill the fountain from our tank and there sitting on the top tier was a White-browed Scrubwren.  It disappeared into a nearby tree when I approached.  Anyway I poured in a bucket of water and set the pump going and in an instant there was the White-browed Scrubwren.  It fussed around inspecting every inch of the fountain, occasionally dipping a foot in the water before finally plunging in.  While all this was going on I was standing a metre away.  I walked away and left it to its bath.  Someone was obviously happy to see us home.

Regards

Lindsay Hansch