canberrabirds

Birdwatching near Geelong

Subject: Birdwatching near Geelong
From: Margaret Leggoe <>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 09:37:00 +1100
Dear Cogs,

Been enjoying glorious weather in Geelong.  Had a look at Melbourne Water's sewage ponds.  Not much bird life there at present.  Also, found parking at likely spots difficult because of the narrowness of the necks of land between the ponds.

Had a look at Serendip Sanctuary just north of Lara, and was delighted.  There is a small man-made lake in the middle of a 250 hectare block of native revegetation.  It is shallow and surrounded by generous swathes of dense native shrubs.  There are half a dozen well constructed hides in addition to many other vantage points from which one can observe free-living water birds, waders and raptors.

In addition there are a number of enclosures for the display and captive breeding of more vulnerable species.  All but two of these were generous in size and vegetation.  I guess it might have been my only opportunity to photograph a male bustard in full breeding regalia snorting his best.  I made the most of it, and sat myself on the ground with my back to a tree and shot off a whole CF card full of shots.

In all, I was able to photograph more than a dozen species that I had not previously photographed.  And the little black-fronted dotterel came so close I could scarcely believe my luck!

I'll definitely revisit Serendip Sanctuary.

Margaret Leggoe