canberrabirds

South Coast Birding

To: canberra birds <>
Subject: South Coast Birding
From: Dimitris Bertzeletos <>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 08:59:55 +0300
Hello all,

On the coast for a few days now and though I'd let the chatline know of the birding situation here atm:

Tuross Estuary is flooded and has oppened up to the ocean. There's no were near the expanse of mud that there was last year and reaching any of the small remaining sand islands appears to require a boat or canoe. I didn't see any wading birds except for a few Masked Lapwings and Pied Oystercatchers.

Coila Lake is also full, but there'rs some good salt marsh and yesterday it yielded two Pacific Golden Plovers. The rocks close to the entrance of the lake harbored all four species of cormorant, a little egret and a great egret.

Cullendulla creak has a fair bit of blossom. I saw all three species of wren today and there 6-8 pairs of Scarlet Honeyeaters nesting with a few coming down to a few meters, providing excellent view. The only spring migrants that have returned thus far are the Common Koels, Fan-tailed Cuckoos, Figbirds and Noisy Friarbirds.

Finally Bateman's Bay Watergardens is full to the brim with water. Terrible for viewing snipe, crake and rails. However, the more visible waterbirds have chicks and White-cheeked Honeyeaters are very easy to see.

Cheers,

Dimitris