canberrabirds

Request for assistance

To: <>
Subject: Request for assistance
From: "Jack & Andrea Holland" <>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 19:36:26 +1000
Vanessa Pirotta has asked me to post this message seeking possible assistance from Chatline subscribers to increase her knowledge of the geographic and host distribution of the new pathogen Escherichia albertii, or E. albertii.

Her message is attached, part of it is also repeated below.

Could you please contact either Vanessa or David Gordon direct rather than through me.

Many thanks

Jack Holland

Excerpt from Attachment

We would also like to better understand the impact of this pathogen on Australia?s native birds.  We are therefore asking people like wildlife carers and vets whom regularly handle native birds, and people who keep backyard poultry or aviary birds to provide faecal samples for us.

Please contact us if you are interested in providing samples, and we will send you the materials and instructions required for you to safely collect a faecal sample from your birds and to return the sample to us for analysis.  If you wish, we will let you know if we find E. albertii in the samples you send.  If you are interested in providing samples or would like further information please contact one of us.

Thank you.

Dr. David Gordon (m("anu.edu.au","David.Gordon");">m("anu.edu.au","David.Gordon"); CTRL + Click to follow link" color=#0000ff face=Calibri>)

Ms. Vanessa Pirotta (m("anu.edu.au","u4540454");">m("anu.edu.au","u4540454"); CTRL + Click to follow link" color=#0000ff>)