canberrabirds

Lake George

To: Roger Curnow <>
Subject: Lake George
From: Marnix Zwankhuizen <>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 23:11:00 +1000
Roger

The place you describe as Murray is I believe Picnic Point. Great to hear you are able to access Lake George from there.

Marnix

On 17/09/2010, at 7:38 PM, "Roger Curnow" <> wrote:

In a recent post Marnix wrote:
                                            Lake George had the most water I have seen in a  long time.
                                            It's unfortunate that there is no easy access point to get to the water.
                                            Does anyone know whether Picnic Point on the NE shore is still accessible?
I don't know where Picnic Point was/is, but armed with my father's " NSW Motorists Road Guide (with sectional maps) "
                                                             ( He used to claim it was from 1925 but for those into trivia see endnote)
I went in search of a place labelled Murray on the eastern end of the north shore of Lake George.
I certainly didn't find it, but I had little difficulty accessing the "shores" of Lake George.

From Collector head towards Tarago; after 7and 1/2 miles, 1/2 mile before the road to  the left goes to Currawong (sic)
turn right down Lake George Rd. It stops after about 4 miles: where i expected to find Murray but didn't.
Turn right along Obyong Point Rd. which is actually two-wheel ruts. After about a kilometre the wheel-ruts stop.
Continue about another kilometre on grass between two parallel fences about a chain apart 'till a gate is reached.
This gate is not locked and water can be seen about 200 metres away.
This 200 metres I walked.
Sadly I saw but two white Ibis and some egrets by way of waterbirds.

Later I went along Taylor's Creek Rd. which runs south from Collector Rd. and loops around to the Bungendore-to-Tarago road.
About 5 kilometres along i switched to  Western Leg Rd which goes west maybe another 5 kms. and I ended up, feeling Like Don Quixote,  midst a collection of windmills.
Then I jumped an easily-jumpable fence and walked maybe 100 metres to the shore.
A great time was had by all (namely me) and nary a 4-WD in sight.

        roger

The book which is very good for finding disguised roads is not dated but contains an ad. for a 1924 Buick;
however Empire Vale appears as German Creek ( the name was changed during WW I) so that section at least is older.