canberrabirds

Bird baths again

To: <>
Subject: Bird baths again
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 17:45:36 +1000
Yes Martin's message about Currawongs regurgitating their pellets in a bird bath is another common problem and as annoying as Ravens dunking their food. A bit harder to understand though, as in that is waste after eating it. It does appear intentional on their part and not just random.

The most funny thing I saw at my bird bath was years ago a Sacred Kingfisher at the bath and a blackbird making a big fuss about it being there, which the SK mostly managed to ignore. About an hour later a blackbird was at the bird bath and the Sacred Kingfisher, who had by then been perched in a nearby tree in view of the bath, for a long time, flew a direct swoop by, right above the blackbird and snapped its beak right above the blackbird's head, giving it a terrible fright right in the middle of its bath! And I know we shouldn't be anthropomorphic but that is a true story and makes me feel like some humour in that.