canberrabirds

Feet of the Swiftie

To: <>
Subject: Feet of the Swiftie
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2010 16:04:50 +1000

I think it’s an interesting aspect of these birds.  Just a couple more points.  These are very arboreal little chaps, not seen on the ground unless drinking.  They are also small and light.  They do not steady the food with the foot when attacking it like many parrots.  Rather they brace themselves with separated feet so they can control the upper body precisely, twisting the head to the target leaf or flower, often hanging inverted for the purpose.  The movements are quick and darting, the food intake lasting only a second or two.  The tongue (not brush-tipped) is relied on but you need to be quick to see it in action.   I have quite a lot of video from previous passings through.  Below are a couple more examples from Friday.

feeding sw ps.jpg