canberrabirds

A bird not actually seen

To: Cog line <>
Subject: A bird not actually seen
From: Ian Fraser <>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2010 14:22:14 +1000
Hello Geoffrey. I am certainly no expert, but until one comes along I'll offer the following. I'm sure you're right about the Malleefowl tracks - they're always very much one-in-front-of-the-other, like a pigeon, but bigger of course. It looks as though he's dug out the egg chamber and started to fill it; she should be laying in the next couple of weeks or so.

The dog/fox tracks aren't so clear. What we want to see is the fifth, rear pad, and I can't readily make that out. In a fox it is substantially behind the two outer pads; in a dog or dingo it is up between them. The gap between the four front pads in your photo appears quite large, and on the basis of that I'd go for a fox.

over to an expert now!

cheers

Ian