canberrabirds

Frogmouth update

To: COG List <>
Subject: Frogmouth update
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 07:03:13 +1000
Jack's column in the September Gang-gang mentions that Tawny Frogmouths appeared to have started nesting a couple of weeks earlier this year.  I certainly saw the pair in our garden start on nest refurbishment 2 weeks earlier than I did last year.  However the nest improvement project went on for 14 days this year rather than the 3 days I observed last year.  The male bird has "assumed the position" on the nest this morning for the first time this year.  (I assume he has an egg or two underneath him, but will be reporting this as ON on my GBS Chart.)  This is 3 days earlier than last year.

I have two theories regarding the apparently longer nest building period:
  • I noticed the refurbishment process earlier this year - highly likely; or
  • there is a new female who required some changes to meet her needs - I have noticed other changes in behaviour so have wondered about this earlier.
We certainly have a very good supply of frogs.

Martin