canberrabirds

COG's bird blitz

To: "'Canberra Birds'" <>
Subject: COG's bird blitz
From: "Barbara Allan" <>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 09:33:45 +1000

Yes, COG’s bird survey across the ACT is on again on the last weekend in October, 30-31 this year. We aim to count birds across as many habitats as possible so as to get an overall picture of our birdlife in mid-spring. Birders of all abilities are welcome to participate, so long as you only record species whose identity you are sure of. Please nominate the COG grid cell(s) or locations you’d like to survey in to – you may like to check the blitz notices which will be posted on the website to see which spots are unclaimed. If you take on an area, you are agreeing to do a minimum of one 20-minute, 2-hectare survey there over the nominated weekend, though of course longer or more surveys are encouraged. Check the website or your next gang-gang newsletter for more details.  You may submit your data electronically if you are a user of COG’s electronic data entry system, or in hard copy on COG’s observation record sheet (available on the website, at meetings, or from the organizer). I’m still looking for people with 4WDs to survey behind locked gates in Namadgi NP and many of the most popular (and birdy) nature reserves have still no takers. So do join in and help us get as complete a picture as possible of our birdlife that weekend. Barbara Allan, blitz organiser