canberrabirds

21 species on Narrabundah Hill reserve 11.15am to 2.45pm

To: <>
Subject: 21 species on Narrabundah Hill reserve 11.15am to 2.45pm
From: "casburnj" <>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 19:36:32 +1000

A sunny great day for bird watching after the cold and windy weather had abated. I encountered two small feeding flocks and some interesting individuals that I had not seen before.

The new birds were two Restless Flycatchers with their peculiar grinding sounds and their unusual movements while catching insects, and two Speckled Warblers.  I am fairly sure these would have been SW’s – they were very pleasing with their creamy yellow flanks and underbelly with strong black stripes, hopping around some trees and feeding on the ground for only a few minutes.

In order of observation this is how the day went:

1 Australian Kestrel hovering for what seemed a long time in one spot

1 Common Bronzewing (my first on Narra Hill)

6 Magpies

Feeding flock no 1:

Double-barred Finches

Diamond Firetails

Red-browed Firetails

Superb Wrens (lots mostly grey ones)

Buff-rumped Thornbills

Yellow-rumped Thornbills

Brown and or Striated Thornbills – only a few and not seen long enough to be absolutely sure if I saw both

1 Weebill (probably)

White-eared honeyeaters (3 in total)

Another smaller feeding flock was more dispersed with some of the above and 2 female Scarlet Robins and 4 European Goldfinches.

Following on from the above flock :

1 Black-faced Cuckoo Shrike

2 Wagtails

2 Grey Fantails and

1 Brown raptor – I thought it might have been one of the usual Brown Falcons but it appeared to have white undertail coverts and appeared to be smaller. Only the back and side views seen. Bill was smallish.

1 Striated Pardalote investigating a hole high in a tall tree in the SW end of the reserve near the dam. (Yellow lores and red wing spot)