canberrabirds

not a commercial

To: Canberra Birds <>
Subject: not a commercial
From: Elizabeth Compston <>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:21:04 +1000

I have just re-read the email that Rosemary Bell sent early in June about her trip to the Channel Country. It sounded wonderful. I wanted to have a flight however over a longer distance and I have just returned from a flight Longreach--Birdsville--Wlilliam Creek-- Inaminka (where we stayed the night)--Longreach. It was wonderful seeing the outback from the air. But we did not see anything like the number of birds that Rosemary saw. There were only 6 of us in the plane and we flew just about all the way at a height of 500 feet. At a lake before Birdsville we flew over a small island where there were pelicans, standing room only. Lake Eyre is incredible. This vast sheet of water, with no vegetation around the edges, stretching for miles; but no birds did we see there. However, between William Creek and Innaminka, we flew over Cooper's Creek. It really is a river, and there were many birds there, not easy to recognise them all from 500 feet, but great to see. As soon as we reached Innaminka we rushed to the Creek. There we saw great egrets, little egrets, rufous night herons and white necked herons, all with chicks. They all just stayed around to be admired. It was getting dark, so we planned to return to the river again in the morning. It was not to be. It rained overnight. Mud, mud, glorious mud. As we were having breakfast shortly after 7am, Steven, our pilot came in. "We have to leave within 10 minutes or we will be stuck here for the day". Or longer, I would think, as the roads out of Innaminka were already closed. The runway was not sealed. Getting in and out of that small plane was not easy. However we did it and were on our way, flying still at 500 feet over the channels of Cooper's Creek.

It was a marvellous experience.  I learnt such a lot

Elizabeth