canberrabirds

Wednesday walk 21 July 2010

To: COG List <>
Subject: Wednesday walk 21 July 2010
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 17:39:07 +1000

25 members and guests assembled at the entrance to McQuoids Hill at 9:30.  The place originally looked a tad crowded as a somewhat greater number of Walkers for pleasure were also using the venue!

However, after a good car-park list had been assembled by those who didn’t realize it was not a 9am start (or were just there early) we moved over to a small dam letting the other party head off.  The main challenge was to confirm that all the hirundines were in fact Welcome Swallows, which turned out to be the case.

On moving on to the hill we decided that an anticlockwise loop was in order.  The first bird of particular interest was a YELLOW THORNBILL, closely followed by an immature GREY BUTCHERBIRD.

We then approached an area where a member of the group had seen a large number of finches just below the track we were following.  Almost immediately a lot of bird activity was seen in and around trees just above the track.  One could speculate about altitudinal migration or just enjoy the birds as we did.  Within an area approximately 50m square we observed: SCARLET ROBIN (m and f); DIAMOND FIRETAIL; DOUBLE BARRED FINCH; SPECKLED WARBLER; YELLOW-RUMPED  AND BUFF‑RUMPED  THORNBILL.  Occupying the trees above were GOLDEN WHISTLER, FUSCOUS HONEYEATER and  VARIED SITELLA

All told 36 species were recorded.  Thanks to Sandra for a very good day.

Martin Butterfield