canberrabirds

Unfair to Wood Ducks?

To: <>
Subject: Unfair to Wood Ducks?
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 09:47:48 +1000

About 10 days ago I found the remains of an A Wood Duck on the small reserve on the S side of Carnegie Crescent, near Finniss.   These are usually the occasion for a bit of detective work  -  apparently a sleeping or grazing bird was attacked by a predator during hours of darkness.  All entrails and skeleton missing, lots of feathers, head and feet remaining.   I suspect an urban fox, more of these being about than people realise.  Then this morning on Radio National, during a discussion on the misfortunes of BP of all things, the simile was perpetrated:  “Well, they’re not going to just sit there like a bunch of wood ducks”.  I am inclined to doubt that the reference is to the Australian Wood Duck, although this common duck does do a fair amount of sitting.   It is probably  a  reference to the Wood Duck of North America, a familiar bird around ponds in the eastern US, which was apparently the victim of some serious hunting in past times.  This should not be a ground for complacency on the part of the A Wood Ducks of the Canberra suburbs, at least in Upper Narrabundah.