canberrabirds

Cooleman Ridge this afternoon

To: "Lindell" <>, "Geoffrey Dabb" <>, "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Cooleman Ridge this afternoon
From: "Jack and Andrea Holland" <>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 17:39:06 +1000
The Restless Flycatcher and the Dusky Woodswallows I reported here on 12/13 June are still there.

After thinking I heard the former call several times over the past few days, a more concentrated search found a single Restless Flycatcher feeding and calling softly in the trees on the NE & E side of the dam at 16:40 this afternoon.  It then flew off into the horse paddocks to the N, and while I was trying to locate a possible second bird, I hear woodswallows overhead, seeing about 3 of them circling high (at least 100 m above tree level) to the SE.

As they disappeared quickly I suspected they may have landed on the ridge itself, about 250 m to the SE.  Indeed following this up at 16:55 I located about 7 birds in a loose group mostly in the inner branches (about 1-2 m in) of a gum tree at the top of the rise where the track that runs behind the houses all the length of Chapman flattens out.  Suddenly this increased to 17 birds as they left this tree and formed a cluster at the base of a large dead bit of mistletoe in the adjacent tree, where they settled somewhat nervously for a couple of minutes.  I suspect I was spooking them as they suddenly left and alighted on rather exposed perches nearby, so I left.

Contrary to what I wrote in my column in the July Gang-gang, I now suspect they've been present in the area for the past month or so, but spend the day hawking away from the area, including possibly surprisingly high before using the area to roost overnight.

Jack Holland