canberrabirds

magnificent old gum tree

To: Canberra Birds <>
Subject: magnificent old gum tree
From: Elizabeth Compston <>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 13:53:39 +1000

I was returning home along Wentworth Avenue, beside the lake, today about lunch time. Part of the avenue, next to where the swans are fed, was barricaded off. What is going on? Well, the beautiful old, large gum tree in the median strip had been cut down, and almost all of it had already been shredded. This tree was very big, about a metre in diameter and had 2 large branches, coming from low down. Cockatoos used to nest in a large hollow. Also there were native bees. . We got out of the car to check things. There was no sign of rot in the middle of the large trunk. If there were branches that were a danger to cars, they could have been removed. "We will plant another one", said one of the workmen. Well, I won't live long enough to see that tree grow. I am appalled and very upset. "The tree was old" I was told. Maybe someone knows how old. It was magnificent. And that, in itself is not a reason to cut it down. We want old trees that are in good condition and I believe that that one was. What was done with the rest of the tree? Was it all minced? Why could it not have been taken to Mulligan's Flat to be of further benefit to birds reptiles animals etc?

Any response?

The men were then going to remove another gum tree, not as wonderful as that one, on the corner of Wentworth Avenue and Telopea Park.

Elizabeth