canberrabirds

Cormorants vs Seagulls

Subject: Cormorants vs Seagulls
From: Roy Harvey <>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 18:23:42 +1000
When kayaking at Lane Cove on the weekend I saw a group of 20-25 Cormorants (little Blacks) swimming in a group and apparently diving and hunting together. Above them was a group of 8-10 Silver Gulls which were diving on the cormorants - apparently trying to take food from them. The Cormorants were clearly agitated by this to the extent that some of the Cormorants (almost) launched themselves from the water apparently trying to bite at the Gulls. The cormorants were apparently following a shoal of fish - they were moving fast through the water and diving continuously. I hadn't seen Gulls harassing Cormorants like this before.
Roy