canberrabirds

FW: [canberrabirds] Superb parrots ?- or ? Belconnen Golf Course

To: "'Canberra Birds'" <>
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] Superb parrots ?- or ? Belconnen Golf Course
From: "Sue Beatty" <>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 14:23:59 +1000

I was hoping someone authoritative would say that they had to be Red-rumped Parrots. A couple of days ago I was attracted by an unusual call just like the one described, and found about 10 parrots high in a tall eucalypt in my GBS area in Holder. They were greenish all over, with greenish blue sheen around the head. Not having the field guide at the time, I examined all of them through the bins, looking for the pretty scalloped pink tail I’ve seen on the Superbs. None of them had one. Also I noticed that some were a much brighter greenish blue than others, which were more olive coloured. Size was less obvious as they were so high up, but all the same I thought they had to be Red-rumped Parrots, except I’m used to seeing them in small groups on the ground, not at the top of a tall tree. I examined all of them (from below) trying to see red rumps, and when one obligingly displayed one for me, I went in and confidently marked them off on my GBS, only my second sighting here all year. If there’s any doubt about this, please let me know. I’m not familiar with the Red-rumped Parrot call, but as described by Pizzey, and in the email below, it fits.

Sue Beatty