canberrabirds

Black-shouldered Kite - Tuggeranong Pwy

To: canberra birds <>
Subject: Black-shouldered Kite - Tuggeranong Pwy
From: Robin Hide <>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 15:47:36 +1000
This afternoon on a walk along the cycle path below Scrivenor Dam towards Weston Creek,  a Black-shouldered Kite was in sight for 5 minutes quartering the grass paddock between the Defence Force blg and the Tuggeranong Parkway Bridge (near where Harvey saw one 10 days ago).
Just below Scrivenor Dam towards Weston Creek, a flock of c. 65 Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos flew from the Yarralumla direction west towards Stromlo Pine Forests,  and c. 20 Dusky Wood Swallows were hawking off the powerlines close to the dam.

Robin Hide

Perkins, Harvey wrote:
This morning, on my way to work, I saw a Black-shouldered Kite in the bare top branches of a tree on the south bank of the Molonglo River where the Tuggeranong Parkway crosses it.

This is the first time in a long while, probably more than 12-18 months, that I've seen a BSK along the Parkway, where in some years they are regular 'residents' between the Molonglo and Glenlock Interchange. My impression is that BSKs have been quite scarce in the region generally for quite a while.

Harvey

Harvey Perkins, PhD
CRC Program Selection Rounds Section