canberrabirds

Things to watch for

To: <>
Subject: Things to watch for
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 09:47:35 +1000

John Barkla recently circulated photos of the Australasian Bittern from a Victorian site which I pass on with his permission.  He mentioned that these were ‘typical poses’ unlike his other shots of the species ‘out in the open catching endangered Growling Grass Frogs’.  I hope Canberra birdwatchers are not going to be left completely behind by Victorian bittern-spotters, and are making a serious effort to find and report these birds.

A Bitterns John Barkla.jpg

According to Steve Wilson’s book there have been only 2 records of the species in the ACT, published in 1943 and 1946.  According to the Lintermans/Osborne book on freshwater animals of the Canberra area, the Growling Grass Frog aka Southern Bell Frog has now disappeared from the Southern Tablelands, along with the bitterns, it seems.  In the L/O book there is a splendid photo (page 202) by our own Peter Ormay of a Southern Bell Frog, although the subject does seem to be under some kind of restraint around the foot area, by something just outside the photo.  While there is probably a less interesting explanation, I prefer to believe that this particular Growling Grass Frog is being gripped on the foot by an Australasian Bittern,  possibly the very last of the species in our area.