canberrabirds

GANG GANG CENTRAL

To: "'Bruce Lindenmayer'" <>
Subject: GANG GANG CENTRAL
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 13:47:32 +1000

Just some comments on your comments, Bruce.  I’m quite happy for anyone to disagree.

First, I do not entirely favour the zero-sum theory that there is a finite number of Gang-gangs around Canberra (say 50), and if they are somewhere else you won’t get any.

I would distinguish locally breeding birds from the winter influx.  As to the former, they like high hollows in mature trees, which would limit breeding numbers and, I think, account for the very few local breeders we have preferring the older suburbs of Canberra rather than the more recently planted-up sheep-paddocks.

The winter influx creates the apparently large numbers.  As JMF says in BITAHC:  “ flocks come down from the mountains to feed in the trees or shrubs growing in the parks and gardens.  Each year they may be seen feeding in the ornamental pine trees and Pyracantha hedges in the heart of the city”.  This is the reason, perhaps, for the iconic status.

From my observations, while they certainly feed in eucs they relish buds and fruit (generally for seed) of exotic and out-of-area plantings.   I no longer get regulars around here since the Cotoneasters were removed.  They occasionally visit a neighbour’s Chinese Pistacio until it is eaten out.  The most regular influx that you can set your calendar by is in a Griffith street planted with Crataegus crus-galli.  In past years I have seen as many as 40 in that street, although this year the most I counted was 11.

In short I think the high numbers seen in Canberra are due to (a) out-of-area plantings and (b) feeders.

Now, why do some areas not get them?  Perhaps they like a combination of tall mature eucs to roost and loaf in (they like yellowbox) and reliable near-at-hand tucker.  Like other cockatoos they learn where the food sources are (and maybe need to  learn about any new food sources) and use them until they are exhausted.

Coming back to zero sum:

(a)     If the whole of inner-Canberra was put under high-rises and car parks, would the present influx be diverted to the outer suburbs?  (Possible answer – maybe, but only if food availability and other requirements were similar)

(b)   If all relevant conditions in inner Canberra were duplicated in the outer suburbs would there be a corresponding increase in the GG influx?  (Possible answer -  Surely not.  That would require an increase in breeding numbers which, one would think, are limited by hollows, territories and availability of breeding-season food supply.  Indeed there is a view that overall numbers are decreasing.)