canberrabirds

Walk in ANBG this morning

To: COG List <>
Subject: Walk in ANBG this morning
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 16:24:11 +1000
19 Members and guests assembled at the Australian National Botanic Gardens.  By the time the facilitator arrived the usual car-park list had been compiled, including Gang-gang Cockatoo, a target bird for our guest from Coffs Harbour.  Unfortunately it was the only observation of this species today.

Australian King-parrots were well in evidence both visually and aurally.  We wrote down a good set of Honeyeaters including Red Wattlebird (groups of up to 4 interacting all through the gardens, New Holland Honeyeaters and Eastern Spinebills dining furiously wherever there were flowering plants and White-eared and Yellow-faced Honeyeaters up towards the canopy.  The hoped for Crescent Honeyeaters were not visible on this side of Black Mountain.

We achieved (eventually) good views of a male Rose Robin, just coming into pink colouration.  Several Satin Bowerbirds were seen in several locations including the Rainforest Gully and by the old bower near Tom's seat.

All up a very pleasant Autumn morning recording 29 species.

The venue for next months walk s yet to be decided, depending on further research by a member of the group.  An announcement (or two) will be made on the chatline when this is done, and an announcement will also be made at the next Monthly Meeting.