canberrabirds

TRANSCRIPT 5

To: <>
Subject: TRANSCRIPT 5
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 10:38:08 +1000

WAYNE:  Well, nothing goes smoothly with these big jobs, Trevor, as you’ll find out with a bit more experience.  First I’ll unveil our latest version which is getting very near the final thing

the project J wip6.jpg

WAYNE:  The big news is that the department has been told there’s a major breeding colony of seagulls on an island smack in the middle of the lake and I’m afraid we just can’t ignore that as it will prpbably become a Canberra iconic species.  Unfortunately that’s the end of your water feature, Fiona, but we have got rid of that rather unsatisfactory duck.  Next, Fiona has finally got a female fairy-wren that’s been officially certified.  Right, Fiona?

FIONA:  Oh Wayne, I did mean to tell you it turned out that the person I spoke to at the botanic gardens with the binoculars and clipboard was really looking at scrub-wrens and not fairy-wrens, but she was very confident and I’m sure she wouldn’t have made a mistake

WAYNE:  Well, that’s unfortunate, Fi, but fingers crossed.  We’re not going to have you spending half your life running backwards and forwards to the botanic gardens.  Now Trevor, let’s have the bluebell update.

TREVOR:  You remember that we took that picture of the bluebell ourselves, and we had people saying it wasn’t THE bluebell, so we’ve just brightened it up a bit so it could be anything and if anyone raises it we’re going to say it’s just a GENERIC bluebell.

WAYNE:  Thank you Trevor.  Now another thing is that unfortunately Barry’s wife has taken ANOTHER picture in the botanic gardens.  See that honeyeater on the flower?  I’m using it for the moment because it does brighten up the middle of the scene.  I’ve told Barry that quite frankly we are not going to take any responsibility for that plant if it’s not a genuine Canberra item, and will he tell his wife to lay off on the photography for a while because we’ve got trouble fitting in all the important stuff.  Now Fiona, let’s have the really big news.

FIONA:  This is so exciting.  I finally got on to Ian Fraser, and he was so nice, even better than he is on the radio when you actually meet him.  Now he’s given us three lovely orchid pictures that are all from Canberra and you can see them down the bottom there.  Just a minute and I’ll be able to tell you their names.  One is a Calochilus, and one is a Diplodium and the other is a Diuris sulphurea.   I would never have known they were there myself.

WAYNE:  Terrific Fiona.  Just be ready to rattle those off if we have to give a presentation to the Chief Minister or someone like that.  I’m pleased to say that I think we can finish this off with just one more meeting.  And Fi, don’t rest on your Laurels, you do have to come up with that moth still.