canberrabirds

Robins a' plenty - 6

To: "'Geoffrey Dabb'" <>
Subject: Robins a' plenty - 6
From: "Margaret Leggoe" <>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 16:53:26 +1000

Geoffrey,

I think I saw robins, and to be more precise, some female, some male.  I suspect there is a mixture of flame and scarlet, and the shape, nose spot and wing bars are the reason for my being able to identify them that far.  And, with the exception of the one engaged in murdering a poor caterpillar, the others were just perching on a low twig or post as robins are want to do.

Yes, the camera does lie.  I always bracket one to two thirds of a stop, and get three different shades (colours if you like) in doing so.  I find Photoshop CS4 Lab is the only program I can use that doesn’t alter a colour, but does increase its intensity.  However, for red birds, I  have to place a series of fixed points along the red curve to prevent any change.  The red feathers of birds like robins is usually so saturated already that any further saturation causes loss of detail.

Margaret.