canberrabirds

TRANSCRIPT

To: <>
Subject: TRANSCRIPT
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 15:14:33 +1000

I threatened to return to that UN stamp.  A set of three 4-stamp blocks was issued in 1991, making 12 individual stamps.  The extra space on the 4 stamps enabled landscape scenes to be shown without making the detail too microscopic.  Postcards were also issued for each landscape, showing different aspects of the (improved) European natural environment.   The scene below is said to depict “the diversity of life found in the upland forest presented against a background of snow-covered mountains, rippling brooks and evergreen forests”.

We could do that for Canberra – if we just had the right committee (see below)

un stamp_4915.jpg

WAYNE:  Right.  Well, we’ve got a pretty clear job here.  We’ve got to design the Canberra environment stamp and pick the stuff to go in it.

TREVOR:  Can we show anything we want?

WAYNE:  Let’s see.  Well, Barry says there’s a limit of 5 birds, 6 max, and we can have up to 3 mammals, a reptile and a couple of insects.  Plus maybe 6 plants.

TREVOR:  Geez, I don’t know how we’re going to go on the insects.  They’re pretty small.

WAYNE:  It’s a matter of perspective Trev.  The insects can be close up while the kangaroos can be 200 metres away.  Not that we’re going to use kangaroos necessarily.  Oh here’s another thing.  We need something in the distance that says ‘Canberra’ and Barry says we can think about using the Brindabellas for example.

FIONA:  Just a minute Wayne.  I think there’s a contextual issue here.   Are we going to use things that are really common or is there to be an endangered species angle.  There’s quite a difference there.

WAYNE:  No, no, not endangered  -  we don’t want things that people never see.  The brief is to make it distinctively Canberra, like, as a rule of thumb, things that you’re more likely to see here than in most other places.

TREVOR:  Hey, what about that myna they’re talking about.  That seems to be pretty common.

WAYNE:  Hmmm.  I’ve got a bit of an alarm bell ringing in my mind about that one Trev.  Let me check, and I’ll get back at the next meeting.

FIONA:  On the plants, Wayne, my daughter at school has been learning about something called a Scribbly Gum.  Apparently the scribble is made by a moth, so it might be a nice touch to show the gum, the scribble, and the moth as one of our insects.

WAYNE:   Good idea Fiona.  Better just check on that moth though.  We’d want something a reasonable size and we want something that looks nice.  We wouldn’t want to spoil the scene by having an ugly moth right in the middle of it.

TREVOR:  Yellow Buttons

WAYNE:  Pardon Trev

TREVOR:  I think that’s the name of those yellow flowers you see all over the place

FIONA:  And what about a water scene Wayne?

WAYNE:  Right, well there’s plenty of ideas, and good to see you’re all thinking.  Just work on those things and we’ll talk about them at the next meeting.  Don’t forget to bring back some ideas on those birds.

[to be continued]