canberrabirds

An exceptional Noisy Miner story

To: Michael and Janette Lenz <>
Subject: An exceptional Noisy Miner story
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 18:31:51 +1000
Michael

This is more a story about Noisy Miners not breeding.

At our house (and GBS site) I have never seen Noisy Miners in the warmer months.  They are however regularly seen being raucous in our top paddock (about 700m horizontally and 40m  vertically from the house) throughout that period.  Each of the years we have been here, mid/late April has been accompanied by a large flock (20+ birds) of Miners passing through the site.  That occurred last Tuesday.  Of the previous 3 years the birds have passed on in 2 of them whereas last year they stayed - in gradually decreasing numbers - in the general area going back and forth for at least 8 weeks.

The observation at this site suggests things are (unlike ANU) quite normal out here!

Best regards

Martin