canberrabirds

Tour de Bungendore East

To: COG List <>
Subject: Tour de Bungendore East
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 18:09:50 +1000
Copied to GG for the trip reports section (and the forthcoming trip).

15 members and guests gathered at Turalloo Nature Reserve for a tour of the TSRs and other interesting spots around Bungendore  on 21 April.  The trip was essentially a repeat of one led by David McDonald in November '09: I will try to analyse the two sets of records and post the result somewhere accessible in the nearish future.

We ended with approximately 70 species/site observations covering 47 species.  The most diversity was seen at Reedy Creek TSR with 23 species.  Although Turallo NR is essentially established to preserve a grassland habitat it, and the nearby areas, delivered 17 species.

Part of the plan for the outing was to observe the honeyeater migration in the areas concerned, but the birds had other ideas.  We recorded 6 species of honeyeaters but none of them were displaying migratory behaviours when we observed them.

We had enjoyable sightings of raptors with a resident pair of Australian Ketrels at Turallo (and 2 Wedge-tailed Eagles a little outside the Reserve) and a great view of a Little Eagle being severely harassed by 4 Australian Magpies at Doughboys corner.  Other more interesting birds included Striated Pardalote inspecting a hollow at Turallo; an Eastern Yellow Robin at Reedy Creek; 3 Diamond Firetails on Mt Fairy Rd and Yellow-tailed Black-cockatoos at Mt Fairy and Sweeneys TSR.

For next month the plan is to gather at the O'Connor Shops at 9am on 19 May and stroll dowm Sullivan's Creek to the Lake and back.  I am advised that there is good coffee available ayt the shops!