canberrabirds

Honeyeater migration and a less good observation

To: "'Peter Ormay'" <>, "'martin butterfield'" <>, "'COG List'" <>
Subject: Honeyeater migration and a less good observation
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 00:40:49 +1000
In part answer to Peter's question. As we should know, the 21 Year GBS Report contains graphs of the timing of each stage of the breeding process for the 18 species with the most breeding records. This includes the Common Myna.

This indicates that April is toward the end of the DY period and so family groups are expected now.

That in itself is not enough to answer Martin's question. Yes 5 mynas flying together could be a family group but it could just as easily be any other sort of group. I think the answer is to observe the group, rather than ask us (who are not there to answer the question). The rattling begging calls of young Mynas are quite obvious.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: Peter Ormay [ Sent: Saturday, 10 April 2010 4:36 PM
To: martin butterfield; COG List   Subject: Re: [canberrabirds] Honeyeater migration and a less good observation

Hello Martin

I suspect that 5 mynas flying together could be a family group but I don't know how far they forage from the nest site. Is Douglas Close where you live? I can give you some cat food if you want to see if you can get them to accept food. If you can get them to feed you have a good chance of getting them. Do you have a myna trap?

Do you or someone else glean nesting records from the GBS data or should GBS observers submit separate nest record forms?

Peter