canberrabirds

Am wondering what these were????

To: "COG" <>
Subject: Am wondering what these were????
From: "Charmian Lawson" <>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 12:38:01 +1100
Hi

Yesterday from the verandah on the National Library at about 2 o'clock, I saw a Navy helicopter doing some circles sort of over the lake. Then I noticed it hovering - my long vision isn't brilliant but it seemed to be just east of the Regatta Point establishment. Below it were masses and masses of flying things which at first I took to be gulls. Then I wondered if indeed they were the Commonwealth Gardens flying foxes. Whatever they were they were very disturbed by the helicopter and some were still flying round some time after it left.

Can anybody tell me what the creatures were (and even why the helicopter was hovering there)?

Thank you

Charmian Lawson
Holder