canberrabirds

A sorry tale

To: "Lynette Gallimore" <>, "Anthony Floyd" <>, "Anthony Overs" <>, "Bill & Jenny Handke" <>, "Chris Davey" <>, <>, "David Mantle" <>, "Geoffrey Dabb" <>, "Holland, Jack" <>, "Joseph Forshaw" <>, "Julian Robinson" <>, "Mark Clayton" <>, <>, "Paul Fennell" <>, "Rob Magrath" <>, "Anthony O'Hara" <>, "Bob Atherley" <>, "Claire Doherty" <>, "David Hey-Cunningham" <>, "David Hey-Cunningham \(Business Fax\)"@cse.unsw.edu.au, "Deborah Argiropulos" <>, "Deborah Argiropulos \(Business Fax\)"@cse.unsw.edu.au, "Gizmo" <>, "Helen Dent" <>, "James Howarth" <>, "James Howarth" <>, "Marcus Derham" <>, "Susan Day" <>, "Brian Jones" <>, <>, "Murray Foote" <>, "Richard Marris" <>, "Capital Image" <>, "Russell Hunt" <>, <>, "Suresh - Kayell Australia" <>, "My Reflections Help" <>, <>
Subject: A sorry tale
From: "Margaret Leggoe" <>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 21:58:16 +1100

Dear People,

Once upon a time I blithely attempted to download an innocent song for my grandchildren from an innocent looking site called BearShare. Immediately my anti-virus software sent me a message warning me of a suspicious virus, so I cancelled the download,  and went to run the virus scan.  Strangely, that had been disabled, but I got it up and running again, but it was unable to detect any virus.  Then I discovered that BearShare had substituted its home page for mine in internet explorer.  I began to get nervous, and tried to uninstall the BearShare files, but they refused to budge.  I then engaged the services of my regular computer technician who spent a half a day working on my computer via remote control, at the end of which time, BearShare had been uninstalled, but it had taken large chunks of my Windows Vista operating system with it.  It then took the technicians another three days working on the computer before everything (?) was fixed.  Everything, that is, apart from the past two years worth of Windows Updates that still had to be re-loaded, certain other items of software, and my preferred settings for everything in Microsoft Office.  All my macros have disappeared and will have to be rewritten.

Fortunately, I ensured all my data was backed up onto my external back-up drive before the technicians took my computer away, so I have not lost any of my photos (I think), but I still have to keep going back to it for bits and pieces that have not been brought back to my C:\

I am too embarrassed to tell you what it cost me dollarwise, but in total I have been six days without a computer, and expect things to be pretty slow going for a few more days as I rewrite macros and readjust all the settings back to the way I had them.

Just in case you didn’t get the name of the source of the virus, it is BearShare  avoid it like the plague.

Feel free to forward this message, but please copy the text into a new message, as I don’t want my email address being circulated further.  Thank you.