canberrabirds

ANPS Wednesday Walk

To: COG List <>
Subject: ANPS Wednesday Walk
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 17:34:11 +1100
The ANPS Wednesday Walk today went to Mt Cowangerong in Tallaganda NP.  While many will never have heard of it, I am sure most will have looked at the output from the Canberra/Captains Flat Weather Radar station on top of the mountain.

The weather today was beautiful and there were a reasonable number of birds around although I only wrote down 20 species.  Going on calls alone I could have added a few more but they were all coming from a single gully, in the same direction as a Superb Lyrebird was calling!  Yellow-faced Honeyeaters were present and seemed to feel no particular need to leave the area.  The same applies to Red Wattlebirds.  I saw 2 Flame Robins and other observers saw several on the track.  The most interesting "other species" was a Satin Bowerbird heard calling when we returned to the cars parked on Braidwood Rd.

Martin