canberrabirds

Brown Falcon

To: <>
Subject: Brown Falcon
From: "Roger Curnow" <>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 13:09:40 +1100
Play slideshow Play slideshow Save all photos Save all photos Want to save all these photos at once? Learn how
Online pictures are available for 30 days

Hi All,

        Yesterday ( 24.03.10 ) I observed two Brown Falcon neither of which was what I think of as the normal colour for an ACT Brown Falcon.
        One was lighter but less red while the other was almost black (though not on the under wings and tail).
        (Photos attached. Click if you wish to see bigger versions; I have never tried this before, hope it works.)

        They were either fighting or partaking in courtship behaviour.
        Joining talons in the sky and on one occasion rolling around together in an old Wedge-tail nest.
        The lighter bird was the attacker.

    Pizzey & Knight seem very definite that the dark bird is an immature,
    but other guides contradict this with mention of colour variation, morphs and even races.
    Perhaps I should stick to recent publications.

    Can any body offer an informed opinion:
    was i watching a male-female joust;
    two warring males
    or an adult driving a child from home?