canberrabirds

ID please

To: "'canberrabirds chatline'" <>
Subject: ID please
From: "Steve Holliday" <>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 16:25:38 +1100

Hi Steve

These are called processionary caterpillars, they are the larvae of the moth Ochrogaster lunifer which is a very widespread species, the big silken bags the caterpillars shelter in are a very common sight in the arid zone, although they are also found near the coast. The name processionary comes from their habit of moving from tree to tree in a line, each produces a thread of silk which the one behind follows. I’ve seen this a few times and it is always interesting to watch. An evil person could cause them to go in circles by manipulating the leader to follow the last in line, this would be very mean though.

Whatever you do, don't touch them or the bags they live in. The hairs are toxic and can cause quite a bad reaction.

see   http://australian-insects.com/lepidoptera/noto/lunifer.html

cheers

Steve