canberrabirds

Re: Spam:******, [canberrabirds] Peafowl update [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

To: "Mark Clayton" <>, "Barbara Preston" <>, "Philip Veerman" <>, "Peter Ormay" <>
Subject: Re: Spam:******, [canberrabirds] Peafowl update [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
From: "Andrew, David" <>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 12:15:57 +1100
Hi there
I don't normally enter the introduced birds debate, but I believe the Rottnest peacocks (as opposed to peahens) were recently sterilised or culled; as I understand it their status as a wild/feral population was always dubious as they are basically tame birds (cafe scavengers) and their reproductive output hasn't been quantified.
Having recently moved to Canberra I was intrigued by the Narrabundah peafowl and from what I've learned they would qualify as a genuine feral population!

regards

David Andrew

Migratory Birds Taskforce
Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts (DEWHA)
GPO Box 787
Canberra ACT 2601
AUSTRALIA