canberrabirds

Non-birding but flying

To: "canberra birds" <>
Subject: Non-birding but flying
From: "Rosie - Internode" <>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 15:42:49 +1100
I hope most people won't resent this intrusion into the lists' messages.

Come to find out about the mammals which share our nocturnal birds' habitats.

COG members may be interested in Michael Pennay's talk on ACT Bat species on Thursday 4th February at 7.30pm.

The presentation will be at the Field Naturalists' February meeting in the Botany & Zoology Building (116) at ANU.

?Canberra Bats

It probably comes as a surprise to most people to learn that the dominant mammal fauna in the ACT is not possums or kangaroos but bats.  There are at least 18 bat species making up over 40% native mammal diversity in the ACT. There are more species of bats in the ACT than the next 3 most species rich groups combined (possums, rodents and macropods).

Despite being around us most summer nights, this fascinating group of mammals are almost invisible to us because most of them are active in the dark when we can?t see them and operate at sound frequencies beyond our hearing range, yet they play key ecological roles in the control of nocturnal flying insects, including many pest species such as mosquitoes, moths and bugs, pollination and seed dispersal.

In my talk I?ll introduce you to some of the bats of the ACT and surrounds, the study of bats and some interesting aspects of their biology and behaviours. The talk will be followed by a brief sojourn out doors in the ANU grounds to spot a few of the local bats using an ultrasonic ?bat detector? and a spotlight.?

President

Australasian Bat Society Inc.

Email:

Rosemary (Blemings)

This email is intended for the addressee(s) named and may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and then delete it immediately.
Any views expressed in this email are those of the individual sender except where the sender expressly and with authority states them to be the views of the Department of Environment, Climate Change & Water NSW.