canberrabirds

RE: Norgrove crakes

To: "'Geoffrey Dabb'" <>
Subject: RE: Norgrove crakes
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 16:31:40 +1100

Geoffrey et al,

Many thanks for your efforts tracking down the birds. Katarina, my Swedish friend, and I have had, as they say in the classics, “crippling views” of a Baillon’s Crake on the grass verge by the “shelter” at Norgrove Park on Monday afternoon, and a Spotless Crake walking along the edge of the reeds on one of the submerged concrete ledges directly opposite where we saw the Baillon’s, at 0730 this morning. We also tried a few spots (Kelly’s etc) for the Australian Crake but dipped. If the ACT Government can give us a few more sites like Norgrove Park, then I may not be so critical of their conservation efforts!

On the same vein, last night Stuart Rae took Katarina, her partner Anders, and I for a pleasant (??? – try it with arthritic ankles!!!) jaunt through the Aranda Woodlands off Bindubi Street looking for Katarina’s “bogey-bird”, an Australian Owlet-nightjar. Again thanks to Stuart’s expertise, no more bogey-bird, and a nice Sugar Glider thrown in as a bonus.

Once again, tanks to all who responded to my initial request for information. Katarina has picked up over 20 new species on this, her tenth trip to The Great South Land and is mow very close to 600 species here.

Cheers,

Mark