canberrabirds

Bad neighbours, Corroboree Park

To: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>, <>
Subject: Bad neighbours, Corroboree Park
From: Julian Robinson <>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 14:51:29 +1100
Thanks Geoffrey, good graphic, though I don't understand the grey arrows.

Mynas and Dollarbirds coexisting as residents might be related to the Dollarbird also seeming to be a pugnacious bird and well capable of competing with Mynas.  I was watching a pair of Galahs fussing around a nest hollow in CBrae for quite some time.  The Galahs seemed to own the hollow and invested a lot of effort on it over an hour, until a single Dollarbird flew up and cleared the Galahs out in less than a second, no argument at all.  The Dollarbird did not seem to be using it and just flew away afterwards but maybe was staking a claim.  My interpretation being that if a Dollarbird is capable of easily dominating two Galahs, then even Mynas might not be a problem for them.