canberrabirds

ID assistance - raptor Uriarra Rd

To: COG line <>
Subject: ID assistance - raptor Uriarra Rd
From: Robin Hide <>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 18:46:36 +1100
Out on the Uriarra Rd this afternoon just before the left turn down to the river park before the crossing there was a raptor on a dead tree(attached, poor photo) that has me puzzled. Not seen in flight. A harrier? or??
Grateful for suggestions.
Beyond the crossing we saw a Singing Bushlark, Pipits and I think Rufous Songlarks. (Many thanks Beth and others for the earlier reporting!) Returning between the Cotter Pumping Station and Stromlo on a v.winding part of the road with motorbikes tailgating and making slowdown or stopping difficult, my wife glimpsed another raptor perched on a branch to the left of the road- tentatively a Grey Goshawk after consulting handbooks/online photos.

Robin Hide

JPEG image