canberrabirds

they've gone (Royal Spoonbills)

To: Elizabeth Compston <>
Subject: they've gone (Royal Spoonbills)
From: Robin Hide <>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 11:27:42 +1100
There were three Royal Spoonbills at Kelly's yesterday afternoon - we first saw two wading near the nesting tree, and a few minutes later they were joined by a third in front of  Bittern Hide- all 3 in breeding plumage.
Robin Hide

RS

Elizabeth Compston wrote:

The Royal Spoonbills that were at Kelly's have gone.  I could weep.  On Wednesday morning, two birds were sitting on nests.  Another bird flew in and changed shifts with the bird at the back.  On Friday morning, when I arrived, no bird was on an nest but about 10 minutes later, 3 rsb flew into the tree.  They seemed to be adjusting twigs but I also had the impression that one of the birds might have regurgitated food to a chick.  Wishful thinking?  If the eggs that the birds have been sitting on were laid as a result of the copulation that Margaret reported on November 17th, the resulting chicks would have been about ready to hatch this week.  Was Thursday just too hot for young chicks?  This morning there were no rsb around, only ibises but they were not taking over the nests.  I hope that anyone seeing rsbs will report it on the chat line.  Is it possible that they may mate again, somewhere else?

Elizabeth