canberrabirds

Koel in Higgins?

Subject: Koel in Higgins?
From: "Paul T." <>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 12:54:59 +1100
Howdy All,

I am going by memory from Wollongong about 18 months ago, but I am fairly sure that I heard a Koel calling for a half hour or so here in Higgins for the first time ever this morning around 8:30 to 9am. Repetition of the drawn out Coo-ee (or sounded to me more like a poooooo-wi sound) that was very piercing. I've only ever heard a Koel (I didn't know what it was at the time, only finding out when I checked my books when I got home) down at Wollongong, but I have certainly never heard this particular call here in Higgins before in the 14 years I've been living here. Has anyone else here in Higgins heard one in the vicinity. It appeared to be somewhere in the vicinity of the dog park at the corner in Bundey Street, although distance was a bit hard to judge. I didn't have the opportunity at the time to track it down for a visual confirmation.

I know that many here on the list are somewhat jaded towards Koel reports <grin>, but I thought this might be worth mentioning as I do not recall reports of any in this suburb before. I must admit that remembering the call up close down in Wollongong, I was really hoping to never report them here in Higgins, as I do rather like my sleep and I remember just how penetrative the call was. <sigh>

Cheers.

Paul T.
Higgins, ACT