canberrabirds

woodswallows again

To: "'COG List'" <>
Subject: woodswallows again
From: "Barbara Allan" <>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 11:43:25 +1100

Further to Dan Mantle’s posting on Thurs evening, on Friday morning I saw what was presumably the same group of mixed White-browed and Masked Woodswallows perched on the upper limbs of a partly dead eucalypt in the paddock to the west of The Pinnacle NR, Hawker. More birds streamed in from the SW as I watched, then the whole lot took to the air, swirling, then hawking for insects. Given the grey conditions, it was hard to estimate overall numbers or proportions of each species, particularly when they started mingling with the resident Duskies. I’d say 200, in a ratio of 3:1 Wb:M. b