canberrabirds

vultures in the Americas ....

To: "'Barbara Preston'" <>, <>
Subject: vultures in the Americas ....
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 20:29:54 +1100

I agree Barbara; the California Condor is a fantastic bird.

In August my wife Kay and I did a bus trip through California, Arizona, Utah and Nevada. Before I left Australia I asked on the Birding-aus chatline for details of places where I might do some birding, often difficult when touring by bus. I was contacted by a delightful lady (Madeline) from Los Angeles who gave me all sorts of information, ranging from how to pick the Hummingbirds, to places where to look for Roadrunners crossing the road. As part of our trip we went to the Grand Canyon (totally AWESOME), where I had hoped, but didn’t expect, to see a Condor. Advice from Madeline and a couple of other American birders suggested I look for “big, black, plastic rubbish bags with a white tag (all the Condors are marked with a white identifiable patagial tag) sitting on cliffs ledges 500 metres out from the canyon’s rim”. When we arrived at the canyon we had time to do a 2 mile walk literally along the edge. We had walked about a mile and had seen lots of Turkey Vultures (aka TV’s) and the occasional Red-tailed Hawk. Kay and I were with a young couple from Western Australia and a very young Irishman, about 1 mile into the walk when something VERY big and black flew just over the top of my head and proceeded to circle over the canyon about 10 metres away at eye height. It was a Condor!!! I wasn’t carrying a camera but my wife, one of the West Australians and the Irishman were. Both the WA chap and the Irishman (only just bought his very first digital camera a couple of days earlier) got photos of the bird – Kay got a brilliant shot of … … … a lovely blue sky! It was something I think is one of my birding highlights and will stay with me forever. We actually saw another Condor towards the end of the walk.

I was told that the possible reason that the bird had come so close to us was that the species, in it’s days when it was more common, used to follow the herds of animals that followed the cliff edge, looking for weak and sick animals and tried to force them over the edge. Hopefully I didn’t look that sick (I will admit I am getting a bit slow and fat in my old age) that the bird thought it could scare me into falling over the cliff. Mind you, there were plenty of other potential meals amongst the idiotic tourists who were sitting, running and generally behaving in a potentially disastrous way right on the canyon rim.

When you consider that the total wild population got down to about 7 birds before they were all trapped and taken into captivity, the Americans have done a brilliant job bringing the species back. There are about 200 in the wild with a similar number still in captivity, scattered through different locations in the west. It is still a long way from being secure and we were shown a poster of a released Condor that had died from ingesting coins (!!!!) thrown over the edge of the canyon! I am sure the money could have been put to much better use.

I did see a Coyote (no they don’t carry Acme brand dynamite, bird seed, anvils or rocket propelled back packs) and 4 Greater Roadrunners (alas they also don’t go “beep beep” – I am totally shattered!!!) at the former Henderson sewage works on the outskirts of Las Vegas, again with two lovely, elderly American ladies. If anyone is going that way I can give details.

Cheers,

Mark